Sunday, January 27, 2008

Twin Hug

Life Balance: a feat we try to achieve while searching to be the best that we can we, while simultaneously raising our children to do the same. This is the equilibrium in our inner life force whereby our heartbeat matches the divine force that exists all around us. When this life balance peaks, our sense of peace, joy, love and wisdom act as one with our very soul.

"At least I was born cute. " --cupcake girl to muffin boy

Life with twins has always been exciting. From the sonogram at 6 weeks where the technician announced, "See the two heads" to the modern day hormone wars, you just never know what you might get. Day in, day out, it switches faster then the promos for the weather at 6.

From an early age, the twins were super affectionate with Mom. They figured out early on, that if they snuck up to me, one on either side of me, and each grabbed me at the same time, yelling "Twin Hug," that I would melt like butter and give them whatever they wanted. I just couldn't resist.

From their first birthday on, I always had their birthday parties together. As they got into school, it was kinda neat to have this huge party at home with 30 screaming kids batting at the pinata. They just loved having it together, double cake, double presents, double kids. Lots of fun. Then one morning, a couple of months before their 9th birthday, they each came up to me one morning and pulled the twin hug. Man oh man, I didn't know what was about to come out of their mouths.

"Mom, we want a divorce."
A what? A divorce. Really? Yes, we want our OWN birthdays.

Oh. Well, umm, I can't do that. You see, God gave you your birthdays together. I might have wanted a different scenario then the 40 weeks of double babies, a permanently inflated bladder, and weekly vaginal exams, but God had a different plan. So no, you are stuck with what you got. But they did get to separate their parties for a few years. Cupcake always got to go first, since she is 11 minutes older. 11 long minutes, trust me.

So you see, the words they spring on you, can really surprise you. Twins really do have a different way of looking at things. Mornings tend to bring some pretty exciting verbiage, when the adrenaline is running high to get it done before the bus comes at 8:04. Friday as I dressed I heard the usual,"You're fat. No, you're fat" followed by "You're stupid, no you're stupid. Then the new phrase from cupcake girl, "Well, at least I was born cute."

Mom couldn't help buy burst out laughing at that one, and of course, got caught doing so. Not supposed to be take sides in any verbal wars. Must stay out of it. Must maintain granite face at all times.

"Stop it Mom! It's not Funny! Why does he have to live here anyway?" Hmm, well honey, I don't really know an answer to that one, because God sent you both here at the same time. Silence permeates the air for a full two minutes as she contemplates that one. Wow, maybe I finally stumped her.

"Well, it's time to send him back!"--cupcake

Some days, Mom wants to send you all back, just to be able to have 2 minutes to pee in peace, without hearing, "No, you tell Mom. No, you tell her. " Oh jees, what now???? Can't I ever pee, and just pee?

No, evidently, you lose that right, the minute you conceive.

No comments: