Monday, January 14, 2008

BFF....but not today

Life Balance: a feat we try to achieve while searching to be the best that we can we, while simultaneously raising our children to do the same. This is the equilibrium in our inner life force whereby our heartbeat matches the divine force that exists all around us. When this life balance peaks, our sense of peace, joy, love and wisdom act as one with our very soul.

Do you remember the trials and tribulations of junior high? Trying to fit in. Trying to dress the right way so you don't get beaten up on the bus. Trying to hide that first really big case of acne. Dying when you had to dress for swimming in the locker room. Having your first crush. Trying to make new friends and keep the old. Good times and bad, all rolled into one.

My twin girl, little cupcake, went to "Activity Night" at the middle school (think dance for us old timers.) Muffin boy thought the idea of it "sucked." She dressed up and had to be first in line to get her ticket during lunch, in case they sold out. All excited about going. Goes with her friend and meets her other girlfriends. Seems to have a good time.

2 days later she says she has to tell me something. OMG, what. Her BFF, who has been having fights with cupcakes other friend, Miss Betty Crocker, decides she can't be friends with cupcake anymore. Just like that. And announces it to the world. Ouch. But cupcake seems to be handling it okay. We will live and conquer. I think, wow, she is just okay with this. One of her 2 BFF's says that's it, and onward she goes. I remind her to be kind, to still say hi, to not say anything mean about the former friends to other people, to try to show class.

I remind cupcake that God handles all problems for us, we just have to hand them other to him. I talk about putting my problems in a big basket and asking God for guidance, for direction and love. To let us feel peace. Probably too much for a kid to absorb, I get that. And I remind myself to take my own advice. To give my problems to God.

I was recently deeply hurt by a friend, when I remembered my talk with cupcake. Hand it over. Let God be your guide and director on this one. See yourself to peace. It's easy to give in. To cry and see only the downside, which is that you don't have that friend anymore. But the greater good, is when we give thanks, and anticipate the good that is right around the corner.
It may not stop the tears from falling, but it will help you feel rejuvenated by them instead. Feel the renewal and cleansing of the tears. See the healing power of letting it all go.

Or, on a bad day, just picture taking the person who hurt you, and getting a big nut cracker, and putting them in it. Really absurd I know, but also really satisfying.

Have, whatever makes you smile today.

No comments: