Monday, September 22, 2008

Body Plumped

Life Balance: a feat we try to achieve while searching to be the best that we can we, while simultaneously raising our children to do the same. This is the equilibrium in our inner life force whereby our heartbeat matches the divine force that exists all around us. When this life balance peaks, our sense of peace, joy, love and wisdom acts as one with our very soul.

"I am realistic - I expect miracles." --Dr. Wayne Dyer

Five thirty in the morning found me trying out Body Pump at the gym with all my talented friends. I hadn't been in a month and they all gave me beautiful hugs. Then Mrs. Happy Nurse whispered that I should really watch the squats; do too many at too heavy a weight and you could find your legs screaming the Hallelujah chorus every time you bend to go. Great. So I tried to take it easy and learn the techniques of lifting and moving at that hour of the morning. Unfortunately for me they don't mainline the caffeine for you and you need to just keep on doing the lifting so you don't look like a major wimp. So I kept moving, trying to make the weight as manageable as possible since I haven't lifted in over 6 months. I kept adjusting down until I found I was looking for a -5 pound weight, which they only have in virtual reality games and cartoons. Soon even the bar became too heavy. Get to the end for mat work, yeah, happy to lay down again on the floor, but no, now they expect me to do pushups. Does it count if you only go up and down 2 inches?Hmm, seems to me I had boyfriends in the past that worked out okay for.

Afterwards, my ego was so deflated with the shape my 40 something body is in. I think the wine at Classic movie nights is catching up to me, or maybe its the candy we made for last week's theme (sponge candy with gold sprinkles and lollipops...and the movie was? anyone? Wizard of Oz.) Tai chi class on Saturdays is looking more my speed, but now maybe even the deep breathing might be a challenge. And to steal a line from Mrs. Nurse after her first class, can someone please come over and lift my arms so I can brush my teeth? Ow, who knew you needed muscles just to do that AND to pee.

I guess Body Plumped is more my speed this week. My knees are 80 but my spirit is 20. I expect miracles all right, I just didn't know I needed them just to pee.

Go me! One exercise class down, thousands to avoid. And millions more to conquer in my lifetime. Let's go team, it's fall and we need to get in shape for those Christmas cookies.

No comments: